MEQUON, Wis. – Brandi Muller is having a senior year to remember. In the fall, she became the first player in Concordia University Wisconsin Field Hockey history to record a hat trick. On Friday, she became the fourth player in CUW Women's Hockey history to score a hat trick, lighting the lamp three times in a 5-1 win over College of Saint Benedict in non-conference play.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Saint Benedict 1
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-4-2; Saint Benedict 2-7-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons were eager to get back on the ice after being shut out in two games last weekend at St. Norbert and showed with a three-goal first period. Sophomore Kristen Kennedy (London, Ontario) put the Falcons on the board with her team-leading eighth goal of the season. Freshman Natasha Wanless (Madison, Wis.) assisted on the play.
- Muller got the first of her three goals just 3:37 later, a score coming on the power play. Freshman Emily Godwin (London, Ontario) picked up her first assist of her collegiate career on Muller's first score. Two of Muller's three goals in the game came on the power play.
- Senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.), who finished with a three-point night, tallied the third goal of the opening period for the Falcons. Metanova's score was a deflection off a shot from Muller, who recorded an assist for the four-point night. Sophomore Ellie Woodman (Janesville, Wis.) had an assist as well.
- The Blazers scored the only goal of the second period, but the Falcons responded with two in the third for the 5-1 win. Muller scored both goals, both in the first 7:28 of the frame, to give the Falcons the decisive win. Metanova assisted on both, while Woodman picked up an assist on the first goal of the final stanza. Senior Baylee Darling (Holmen, Wis.) added an assist on the game's final goal.
- Freshman Breanna Thomson (St. Marys, Ontario) finished the game with 28 saves for her second win of the season. She stopped 13 shots in the opening stanza and added 12 saves in the second period.
- The Falcons were dominant on special teams, scoring on their only two power play chances. CUW also killed off all three of the Blazers power play opportunities.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Muller is the fourth player in program history with a hat trick, joining teammate Kristen Kennedy who accomplished the feat with a four-goal game at Finlandia earlier this season. Emily Heckendorf and Alisha Java have also recorded hat tricks for the Falcons.
- Muller is the only player to record a hat trick in both field hockey and ice hockey in CUW history. She actually is the only player in field hockey history with a hat trick.
- Metanova's three points move her into a tie for fourth all-time on the Falcons point list with Java. Metanova now has 71 points in her career.
- These two teams will finish off the two-game series tomorrow afternoon. Puck drop is set for 3 p.m. at the Ozaukee Ice Center.