MEQUON, Wis. – Senior Veronika Metanova entered Friday night's game against Marian University needing three points to tie Sarah Luberda as the Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Hockey all-time leading point scorer. Metanova did one better Friday, recording four points in a 6-1 rout of the Sabres, becoming the Falcons new points' leader in the process with 87 in her impressive career.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 6, Marian 1
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 9-10-2, 5-8-2 NCHA; Marian 8-11-1, 5-8-0 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) got going early with two first-period goals, giving the Falcons a 2-1 advantage after 20 minutes of play. Both goals were assisted by line mates Lexi Holman (Sauk Rapids, Minn.) and Kristen Kennedy (London, Ontario). Her first score came 10:13 into play but Marian would score 21 seconds later to tie it at 1-1. She added her second goal at the 13:28 mark.
- Metanova's record-breaking point came on the game's final goal 9:05 into the third period. Holman scored on the power play for the Falcons with Metanova and senior Brandi Muller gaining assists on the play. The assist also tied Metanova for the career record in that category as well.
- As good as Metanova and the offense were on Friday, sophomore Christina Pattengale (Portage, Mich.) was just as impressive between the pipes. She made 39 saves as the Falcons were actually outshot 40-22, but the ability to light the lamp, combined with Pattengale's ability to stop Marian from doing so, was the perfect combination.
- In the second period sophomore Jossa Danis (Brandon, Manitoba) scored her first goal of the season, coming just 2:18 after the first intermission. Senior Baylee Darling (Holmen, Wis.) assisted on the play.
- Darling got the three-goal third period started as she lit the lamp just 3:10 into the stanza. Metanova tied the point's record at the mark and would break it on the game's final goal at the 9:05 mark. Kennedy added an assist on Darling's goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Metanova now has 87 career points and career-best 28 this season. Her 28 points rank third most in a season behind Luberda's 32 in 2010-11 and Jaime Athens 30 in the 2009-10 campaign.
- Metanova is tied with Hilary Christiansen for most career assists with 53. She is also two goals from Luberda's career mark of 36.
- The win moved the Falcons to fourth place in the NCHA standings, a spot they were tied with Marian at entering the night. CUW needs another win Saturday to go four points ahead of the Sabres as Marian still has two games in hand on the Falcons the rest of the season.
- The Falcons and Sabres will conclude the series tomorrow at 3 p.m. at the Ozaukee Ice Center.