MEQUON, Wis. – Gauging the value of senior leadership and experience can be difficult at times, and Veronika Metanova's importance proved key in a Saturday 7-4 non-conference victory for Concordia Wisconsin over Augustana at Fitting Field.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 7, Augustana 4
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-1, Augustana 0-4
QUOTING GOALKEEPER VERONIKA METANOVA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Metanova has been the anchor of the Falcons defense for years and during a cold afternoon, she made outstanding saves at key moments against the Vikings, who at times were within point-blank range of the net.
- Concordia Wisconsin's defense did what it needed to for the majority of the game, but after finding itself tied at 4-4 on the scoreboard, the offense rose the occasion and took over. Specifically, freshman Emily Kuhlman (Cold Springs, Minn.) scored back-to-back goals within two minutes to give the hosts momentum.
- Junior Allison Kurek (Chicago, Ill.) scored her only goal of the game to put the final touches on a home-opening victory with 10:23 to play.
- Kuhlman ended with a hat trick, while sophomore Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) tallied two goals and an assist. Freshman Nicole DeMeo (Niles, Ill.) found the back of the net and sophomore Christina Pattengale (Portage, Mich.) assisted on a score.
- Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) had five saves in the opening half and seven saves during the final 30 minutes of play in a complete game winning effort.
- The Falcons forced 16 Viking turnovers, of which 10 were caused. Senior Arianna Worthing (Saginaw, Mich.) caused a career-best three turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kuhlman has recorded back-to-back hat tricks to begin her career.
- Concordia Wisconsin was 2-of-2 on free-position attempts and is now 4-of-5 on the season.
- Anne Hopkins led the Vikings with two goals, while Emily Lucnik had a goal and an assist. Olivia Mayer also scored, picked up six ground balls, won three draw controls and caused four turnovers.
- Analia Fowler made five saves in a complete-game losing effort.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Tennessee for a pair of non-conference games against Sewanee (Monday) and Sesquehanna (Wednesday).