MEQUON, Wis. – It was a battle of scoring runs during the opening half until Concordia Wisconsin took over in the second half to earn an important 15-8 MWLC victory at Fitting Field on Saturday.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 15, Hamline 8
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 8-4, 7-0 MWLC; Hamline 9-3, 6-2 MWLC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After multiple scoring runs by both teams during the opening 30 minutes of action, the halftime score read 8-6 in favor of the Falcons. Just 17 seconds into the second half Hamline netted a goal to get within a score, but Concordia Wisconsin wanted nothing to do with a close affair.
- The hosts scored four-consecutive goals to lead 12-7 with 18:24 to play in the game and ended the matchup with three goals in a row to win handily during an important MWLC matchup of two teams near the top of the standings.
- Concordia Wisconsin began the game with two goals in the first few minutes and also had two streaks of three consecutive goals. Hamline twice had three-straight goals for an intense and exciting first half of play.
- Junior Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) continues her torrid offensive output, with a career-high-tying five goals for the third game in a row. She also added two assists, three ground balls, four draw controls and two caused turnovers.
- Sophomore Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) recorded a hat trick and two assists, while freshman Nicole DeMeo (Niles, Ill.) tallied three goals of her own. Each player had a free-position score.
- Sophomore Ellie Woodman (Janesville, Wis.) was outstanding defensively, with a career-high nine ground balls to go along with four caused turnovers.
- Junior Alison Kurek and Henry each had a team-high four draw control wins.
- Senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) made nine saves during a winning effort in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin ended with a 35-22 lead in shots, including 26-17 on goal.
- Woodman's nine ground balls are tied for the second-most in a game in program history.
- Dana Almquist led the Pipers with a hat trick, while Radian Lenz netted a pair of goals.
- Brayden Maass had four draw control wins, while Sydney Dynneson and Almquist each caused a pair of turnovers.
- Molly Dionne made 11 saves in goal.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Beloit for a 4:30 pm MWLC matchup on Wednesday.