BELOIT, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin sent a statement to the rest of the MWLC on Wednesday evening during an authoritative 19-6 victory at Beloit. The victory keeps the Falcons undefeated in league play and moves them atop the standings.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 19, Beloit 6
Location: Strong Stadium (Beloit, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 9-4, 8-0 MWLC; Beloit 8-6, 5-3 MWLC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin and Beloit entered Wednesday's contest with 7-0 and 5-2 records, respectively, in the MWLC standings. However, the Falcons showed they were the better team with 10-consecutive goals to end the game and run away with an all-important victory.
- The visitors began the game with four-straight goals before things went back-and-forth during the next 18 minutes of action before halftime. Concordia Wisconsin held an 11-6 lead at the intermission and an inspiring must have happened before what happened next.
- It was 30 minutes of dominating play by the Falcons, who scored nine consecutive goals to turn a somewhat close game into a favoring decision. They ended with a 40-19 lead in shots (35-13 on goal), won 17-of-28 draw controls and forced 28 turnovers of which 12 were caused.
- Sophomore Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) returned to the lineup and let loose with four goals and three assists during a career-best seven-point effort.
- Junior Allison Kurek (Chicago, Ill.) and freshman Emily Kuhlman (Cold Springs, Minn.) each found the back of the net four times, while sophomore Christina Pattengale (Portage, Mich.) added a trio of scores to her stat line.
- Kurek also had five ground balls, eight draw controls and seven caused turnovers. Pattengale won four draw controls of her own.
- Junior Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) recorded two goals, an assist, two ground balls and three draw controls wins. Freshman Nicole DeMeo (Niles, Ill.) ended with a goal and two assists, while freshman Jackie Lanum (Wadsworth, Ill.) struck the net once.
- Senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) made seven saves and picked up three ground balls to earn another win in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons netted three free-position goals and now have 10 in the last four games.
- Concordia Wisconsin's 40 shots are tied for the eighth most in a game in program history and are the most in a game this season.
- Kurek's seven caused turnovers are tied for fourth most in a game and her eight draw controls are tied for the eighth-most in program history.
- Hannah Drexler led the Buccaneers with four goals and Nicole Dolcimascolo added two goals.
- Marie Bonine made 16 saves in goals during a complete game effort.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to IIT for a showdown of the top teams in the MWLC on Tuesday at 7 pm.