CHICAGO – In the most important game of the season thus far, Concordia Wisconsin jumped out to a commanding lead and held off a late Illinois Institute of Technology rally to win 10-8 in a battle of MWLC unbeatens on Tuesday night. The victory gives the Falcons the inside track on winning the outright regular season title.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 10, Illinois Institute of Technology 8
Location: Stuart Field (Chicago, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-4, 9-0 MWLC; IIT 13-2, 8-1 MWLC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The winner of the matchup gained the inside track on the MWLC regular season title, with a few league games remaining on the schedule. In the end, the two-time and back-to-back champion Falcons walked away with the most important victory of the season on the schedule to date.
- Through nearly 18 minutes of action Concordia Wisconsin was running away with a sizeable 6-0 lead, but it was only a matter of time before IIT came to life. The Scarlet Hawks got to within three by scoring four of the next five goals before halftime.
- At the intermission, junior Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) and freshman Nicole DeMeo (Niles, Ill.) each had a pair of scores and senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) had already made seven saves.
- After two goals by Concordia Wisconsin during the first five-plus minutes of the second half to build a 9-4 advantage, IIT went on the attack by scoring four of the next five goals to fall behind by just two, 10-8, with 4:30 to play in the game.
- As has been the case this season, when the Falcons need defense – they get defensive – and allowed just one Scarlet Hawk shot the remainder of the contest.
- Sophomore Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) ended with a hat trick to lead the Concordia Wisconsin offense, while DeMeo and Henry also had two assists.
- Junior Allison Kurek (Chicago, Ill.) had her usual stat-stuffing line and recorded a goal, two assists, four ground balls, five draw controls and two caused turnovers.
- Senior Ariana Worthing (Saginaw, Mich.) and freshman Kennedy Boyer (Saline, Mich.) also scored. It was Boyer's first career goal.
- Metanova played a huge role in the victorious outcome with a season-high 15 saves and many of those coming at critical times during the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- IIT finished with a 36-21 lead in shots (23-18 on goal), 18-13 difference in ground balls and 11-9 advantage in draw controls.
- Concordia Wisconsin's defense was significant with eight caused turnovers and limiting the Scarlet Hawks to just 2-of-13 on free-position attempts.
- Concordia Wisconsin and IIT entered the night ranked first and second, respectively, in the MWLC for goals allowed (6.36 – CUW, 6.57 – IIT).
- The Falcons haven't lost a MWLC regular season game since April 22, 2014 – a streak that extends to 27 games in a row.
- Metanova set the program's single-season record for saves and is now at 136. She is also on pace to set the season record for save percentage and goals against average.
- Alyssa DeLuca led all scorers with four goals, while Isabella Rubin and Madison Meredith each tallied a pair of markers.
- Abbie Reynolds made eight saves in a complete game effort.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Concordia Chicago on Saturday at 4 pm during a MWLC game at Fitting Field.