MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin scored four-straight goals midway through the opening half to take control and eventually wore down Augsburg in the second half to win 10-6 on Friday during a MWLC Tournament semifinal matchup.
The Falcons who are the top seed will host third-seeded Hamline on Saturday at 2 pm in the MWLC Tournament Championship game.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 10, Augsburg 6
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 12-6, Augsburg 12-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Augsburg held a 2-1 lead less than 12 minutes into the matchup before Concordia Wisconsin's offense turned it on with four unanswered goals to own a 5-2 advantage and the momentum on the field. The Auggies responded with two goals before halftime and it was the play of goalkeeper Marissa Guillou who had 17 saves during the first 30 minutes of play to keep the visitors in the game.
- During halftime, the Falcons coaching staff and players made adjustments, which helped as they rattled off five goals in a row to put the game out of reach with 9:34 remaining on the clock.
- Senior Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) led all scorers with three goals. Sophomore Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.), freshman Nicole DeMeo (Niles, Ill.) and freshman Emily Kuhlman (Cole Springs, Minn.) each scored a pair of goals.
- Defensively, sophomore Christina Pattengale (Portage, Mich.) had four caused turnovers and three ground balls, while junior Allison Kurek (Chicago, Ill.) recorded two caused turnovers, three ground balls and a game-high seven draw controls.
- Senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) made 11 saves, including an outstanding stop late in the game after being whistled for a foul and placed behind the offensive player. She sprinted back to her spot in goal and made an athletic save to give the Falcons energy.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin will appear in the MWLC Tournament Championship game for the third-consecutive year.
- Augsburg was 2-of-6 on free-position attempts, while Concordia Wisconsin was 0-of-6. The Falcons ended with a 43-21 lead in shots, 27-20 in ground balls difference and forced 29 turnovers of which 19 were caused.
- Izzy Snow had two goals for the Auggies, while three of her teammates had a score.
- Marissa Guillou had an outstanding game with 22 saves.
- Christina Nelson and Marissa Guillou each had two caused turnovers each.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Aurora/Hamline on Saturday at 2 pm in the MWLC Tournament Championship game at Fitting Field.