MEQUON, Wis. – Several of the top Division III collegiate wrestlers across the Midwest gathered at the R. John Buuck Field House Saturday for the 23rd Annual Concordia University Wisconsin Open. The Falcons, who had 16 wrestlers compete Saturday, had a few strong performances in their home meet.
Location: R. John Buuck Fieldhouse (Mequon, Wis.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Out of the 16 wrestlers for CUW that competed on Saturday, seven of them finished with a .500 record or better for the day.
- Junior Mason Mergener (Crivitz, Wis.) led the Falcons with four wins and finished sixth in the 174 pound weight class. Mergener started the day with a bye and then won his first two bouts of the day before falling to Connor Price of UW-Whitewater. He would then win his next two bouts before dropping his final two of the day.
- Four other Falcons posted 3-2 records on Saturday. At 125 pounds it was freshman Kameron Bourgeois (Whitnall, Wis.) who won two of his three bouts by major decision and his final win of the day was a win by fall at the 6:21 mark after trailing late in match.
- Fellow freshman Ben Reagan (Wauwatosa, Wis.) also posted a 3-2 record for the day. Reagan's most impressive match of the game came in his third bout when he won by fall only 22 seconds into the match.
- Juniors Joshua Curcio (Granger, Ind.) and John Hinson (Glendale, Ariz.) were the final two Falcons to finish the day with three wins in the 141 and 197 weight classes, respectively.
- Senior Pierce Holtfreter (Las Vegas, Nev.) and sophomore Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) both finished the day 2-2.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Bourgeois won his first collegiate match of his Falcon career in 16-7 major decision win on Saturday.
- Reagan extended his winning streak to four matches before dropping his first match of the season.
- Six Falcons won at least one of their bouts by fall during the event. The quickest win by fall was Reagan's 22 second win by fall.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will next compete two weeks from today at the MSOE Invitational. That meet is scheduled for a 9 a.m. start.
March 23, 2016 Hinson, Mergener named to NWCA Scholar All-Academic Team
February 27, 2016 Baumgartner, Holtfreter qualify for NCAA Championship
January 30, 2016 Wrestling competes at Pete Willson Invitational
January 23, 2016 Wrestling drops both dual meets to Olivet, UW-Whitewater
January 16, 2016 Wrestling struggles during trio of duals
January 8, 2016 Wrestling hosts Elmhurst in only home dual of season
January 8, 2016 Elmhurst blows by CUW in dual
December 16, 2015 Wrestling controls dual at Lakeland
December 12, 2015 Wrestling splits duals to WIAC opponents
December 7, 2015 Wrestling joins CCIW as associate member
December 5, 2015 Curcio paces Falcons at MSOE Invitational
November 21, 2015 Mergener paces Wrestling with four wins at CUW Open
November 11, 2015 UW-Parkside routs Falcons in dual meet
November 6, 2015 Falcons overcome deficit to defeat UW-Eau Claire
November 4, 2015 Wrestling begins season with convincing win at MSOE