STEVENS POINT, Wis. – Mason Mergener and Mason Baumgartner won the 174 and 197-pound weight divisions at the Pointer Open on Saturday. The Falcons had four wrestlers place at the difficult tournament.
Location: Berg Gymnasium (Stevens Point, Wis.)
Top Falcon Individual Results: Mason Baumgartner First Place (197 pounds), Mason Mergener First Place (174 pounds), Mitchell Slatton Fourth Place (184 pounds), Eli Were Fifth Place (157 pounds)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mergener (senior, Crivitz, Wis.) tallied four wins to capture the 174-pound bracket. He pinned Nick Stencel (UW-Whitewater) in five minutes and 10 seconds before earning a 5-3 decision against Parker Jackson (Concordia-Moorhead). Mergener then got past the semifinal match with a pin over Brendon Garnbill (UW-Whitewater in three minutes and 19 seconds. During the title match he earned a 2-1 decision against Jake Johnson (Concordia-Moorhead).
- Baumgartner (senior, Slinger, Wis.) need just three victories at 197 pounds to win the bracket. He won by decision, 9-2, against Dane Borchardt (UW-Madison) before edging Dylan Diebitz (UW-Stevens Point) by sudden victory-1 to advance to the title match. The senior won the bracket with a 5-3 decision over Mason Reinhardt (UW-Madison).
- Junior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) took fourth at 184 pounds and was 2-2 in the Pointer Open. He defeated Patrick Reilly (UW-Oshkosh) by decision, 6-0, before losing to Ricky Briggs (Concordia-Moorhead) by decision, 6-3. Slatton then won another decision bout, 8-6, over James Borgen (UW-Stevens Point) to advance to the third-place match where he lost by technical fall 16-1 to Carlito Schiro (UW-Sevens Point).
- Freshman Eli Were (Brookfield, Wis.) placed fifth in the 157-pound division after winning four bouts. He lost his opening match by decision, 6-5, to Boone Roycraft (UW-Stevens Point) which put him in the consolation side of the bracket. Were then won three in a row, the first a sudden victory-1 5-4 decision over Josh Becker (UW-Oshkosh). He followed it with a pin in seven minutes against Corey Knudsen (UW-Oshkosh) prior to winning by decision, 7-2, against Tanner Goddard (UW-Stevens Point). Were was in the consolation semifinal match against Brett Scoles (UW-Parkside) but lose by technical fall, 19-2, before pinning Steven Collins (UW-Stevens Point) in 58 seconds to take fifth place.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Sophomore Miguel Betancourt (El Paso, Texas) earned a victory by fall in 2:52 against Nick Pollack (UW-Parkside) at 149 pounds.
- Sophomore Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) tallied two wins at 165 pounds, including two by fall. He pinned Jake Yatso (UW-Madison) in 4:30 and Dante Williams (Lakeland) in 6:38.
- Senior John Hinson (Glendale, Ariz.) won a major decision bout by a 11-2 score at 285 pounds over Steve Anderson (UW-Stevens Point).
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons host UW-Parkside and Lakeland in duals in back-to-back nights next week on November 9-10 inside the R. John Buuck Field House.