FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Concordia Wisconsin won its opening dual to being Thursday's difficult NWCA Duals, before being overwhelmed by nationally-ranked Johnson & Wales and then ending the day with a loss to North Central at the Fort Wayne Convention Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin began with an opening 22-15 victory over College of New Jersey. They fell behind early, 12-0, losing the first three weight classes before sophomore Miguel Betancourt (El Paso, Texas) put the Falcons on the scoreboard with a 5-0 decision win a 149 pounds.
- Following a loss at 157 pounds, Concordia Wisconsin went on a roll by winning the remaining five weight division for a 17-0 scoring run to earn the come-from-behind victory.
- Sophomore Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) started the momentum shift with a thrilling 6-4 decision SV-1 win at 165 pounds prior to senior Mason Mergener (Crivitz, Wis.) capturing an 11-1 major decision victory at 174 pounds.
- Junior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) continued the run of success in the dual with a 6-3 decision at 184 before senior Mason Baumgartner (Slinger, Wis.) pinned his 197 pounds opponent in 2:25.
- Senior John Hinson (Glendale, Ariz.) capped off the win with a 9-3 decision at 285 pounds.
- Concordia Wisconsin was overwhelmed against sixth-ranked Johnson & Wales, 53-0, during its second dual of the day. They didn't win a bout and were pinned six times.
- The Falcons competed against CCIW-foe North Central to finish the day, but eventually lost 24-16. The Cardinals won the opening two weight divisions to take an 8-0 advantage. Senior Joshua Curcio (Granger, Ind.) recorded a pin in 2:43 at 141 pounds to put Concordia Wisconsin on the board.
- After back-to-back losses, Martinson tallied a 16-6 major decision win a 165 pounds, which was followed by a Mergener 7-2 decision win to put the Falcons behind 18-13.
- North Central increased its lead to 21-13 after a decision victory at 184, but Baumgartner answered with a 9-7 decision win of his own at 197 pounds.
- The Falcons needed at least a technical fall win, but was hoping for a pin at 285 to earn a one-point victory but lost in a decision.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons dual record for the season now stands at 3-4
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to UW-Whitewater for the Border Brawl on Saturday, January 21 and opponents have yet to be announced.