STEVENS POINT, Wis. – Mitchell Slatton finished in second place to lead four Concordia Wisconsin wrestlers who placed on Saturday afternoon at the season-opening UW-Stevens Point Open inside Berg Gymnasium.
Location: Berg Gymnasium (Stevens Point, Wis.)
Falcon Individual Placers: Ramiro Vasquez (133 pounds) third place, Merrick O'Donnell (184 pounds) fourth place, Mitchell Slatton (197 pounds) second place, Sam Olsen (285 pounds) fifth place
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) was highly successful to begin the final season of his career with a pair of wins by fall and a decision in his favor to take second place in the 197-pound bracket. He began his day with a pin in 2:54 against John DePersia (UW-Oshkosh) before getting by Jordan Lemcke (UW-Oshkosh) by a 7-3 decision. Slatton continued on with a win by fall in 2:57 versus Patrick Reilly before losing by major decision, 11-3, to Dylan Diebitz (UW-Stevens Point) in the title match.
- Sophomore Ramiro Vasquez (Yuma, Ariz.) ended in third place after going 1-2 in the 133-pound division. He began the day with a 13-1 major decision setback against Airk Furseth (UW-Parkside) before Jacob Barnett defeated him by fall in 2:45. Vasquez responded with a win by fall of his own in 1:38 against Nathan Sleik-Vidmar (Lakeland).
- Freshman Merrick O'Donnell (Huntington Beach, Calif.) began his career with a fourth-place finish in the 184-pound bracket. He went 3-2 on the day, which included a pair of wins by fall and a decision. He started with a 9-5 decision loss to Colten Cashmore (UW-Oshkosh) before winning back-to-back matches by fall. O'Donnell pinned Brandon Rothe (UW-Oshkosh) in 2:34 before putting Mason Lind (Lakeland) on his back in 3:26. The rookie defeated Dominic Gunderson (UW-Stevens Point) by decision, 9-6, before dropping his final contest of the day in 0:38 seconds to Cody Nielsen (UW-Stevens Point).
- Junior Sam Olsen (Waukesha, Wis.) ended in fifth place of the 285-pound bracket after compiling a 3-2 record. He defeated Michael Grabe (Lakeland) by major decision, 13-5, to start his day. Olsen then lost a difficult 3-1 SV-1 decision to Michael Dunlap (UW-Oshkosh) before answering with a 6-4 decision win against Steven Anderson (UW-Stevens Point). Ross Agg (UW-Stevens Point) got the better of Olsen with a pin in 1:29.
- Junior Miguel Betancourt (El Paso, Texas) won a 9-3 decision over Ben Kasten (UW-Stevens Point) at 157 pounds.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- The Falcons had five pins in the tournament totaling 13:29, which ranked fifth.
- Concordia Wisconsin had four wrestlers place at least top-5 of the seven it brought to the tournament.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Lakeland on Thursday for a CCIW dual at 7 pm.
February 24, 2018 Wrestling season comes to an end at NCAA Upper Midwest Regionals
February 23, 2018 Betancourt still alive at NCAA Wrestling Upper Midwest Regional
February 22, 2018 Slatton will always be there to help
February 8, 2018 Slatton, Wrestling performs at CCIW Championship
February 7, 2018 Wrestling prepared for CCIW Championship
January 26, 2018 Wrestling competes at Pete Willson Invitational
January 23, 2018 It started with a vision
January 20, 2018 Wrestling competes at challenging Willie Meyers Open
January 13, 2018 Slatton leads Wrestling with second place finish
December 20, 2017 Vasquez named CCIW Wrestler of the Week
December 16, 2017 Wrestling earns first win, Vasquez goes 3-0
December 15, 2017 Falcons can’t hold off Raiders in CCIW dual
December 7, 2017 Wrestling drops CCIW dual to Elmhurst
December 6, 2017 CCIW dual preview: Falcons host Bluejays
December 2, 2017 Wrestling competes at MSOE Invitational
November 18, 2017 Mitchell Slatton leads Falcons with a 3-2 record at 25th Annual CUW Open
November 16, 2017 25th Wrestling Open preview
November 9, 2017 Wrestling drops CCIW dual at Lakeland
November 4, 2017 Wrestling performs well at UW-Stevens Point Open
November 3, 2017 CCIW Wrestling Preseason Poll released
November 1, 2017 Season Preview: Wrestling ready for difficult season
September 21, 2017 Kevin Koch named Wrestling head coach