MILWAUKEE, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin was strong to start and finish Friday evening's dual at MSOE, but an 11-0 advantage after two matches wasn't enough in a 27-23 loss during CCIW competition at the Kern Center.
Final Score: MSOE 27, Concordia Wisconsin 23
Location: Kern Center (Milwaukee, Wis.)
Records: MSOE 1-0. 1-0 CCIW, Concordia Wisconsin 0-3, 0-3 CCIW
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin began the match with a pair of victories to build a quick 11-0 lead. However, the lead didn't last long, as MSOE scored 27 unanswered points to build enough of a cushion to take the conference dual.
- Sophomore Matthew Saldana (Long Beach, Calif.) took just two minutes and 43 seconds to pin Mark Niewierowski at 125 pounds for six points. Sophomore Ramiro Vasquez (Yuma, Ariz.) followed with a technical fall win, 16-0, over Preston Makoutz at 133 pounds to five the Falcons an 11-0 advantage in the early going.
- MSOE would win the next six weight classes and score 27 unanswered points.
- Senior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) earned a victory by fall in two minutes and eight seconds over Duncan Heath at 197 pounds. Senior Mac Braylock (Marietta, Ga.) end the competition with a win by forfeit.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will have a busy Saturday with duals against host Dubuque (1 pm), Wheaton (2:30 pm) and Nebraska Wesleyan (4 pm) as part of the Jim Fox Duals in Dubuque, Iowa inside McCormick Gymnasium.
Concordia Wisconsin vs. Elmhurst
Friday, December 15, 2017
Kern Center (Milwaukee, Wis.)
MSOE 27, Concordia Wisconsin 23
125: Matthew Saldana (CUW) won by fall Mark Niewierowski (MSOE), 2:43
133: Ramiro Vasquez (CUW) tech. fall Preston Makoutz, 16-0
141: Jimmy Cushman won by forfeit
149: Sam Rathburn (MSOE) maj. dec. Miguel Betancourt (CUW), 16-4
157: Jack Rathburn (MSOE) won by forfeit
165: Drew Matticks (MSOE) maj. dec. Eric Martinson (CUW), 13-5
174: Helton Vandenbush (MSOE) maj. dec. Alex Montbriand (CUW), 12-2
184: Ryan Snyder (MSOE) dec. Merrick O'Donnell (CUW), 21-16
197: Mitchell Slatton (CUW) won by fall Duncan Heath (MSOE), 2:08
285: Mac Braylock (CUW) won by forfeit
Starting Weight: 125
Dual Length: 1:07