SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin's season ended on Saturday morning with a heartbreaking 5-2 loss against Wisconsin Lutheran College during a Northern Athletics Conference Tournament Semifinal women's tennis match at Kohler Sports Core.
The Falcons took control early by winning two of three doubles matches, however, the Warriors responded with force during singles play. WLC (15-6) won in straight sets during No. 1 singles and gave up just one point during No. 3 singles play. After a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles it took a lead it would not relinquish.
Following a No. 5 singles victory (6-2, 6-2) the Warriors earned a spot in the NAC Tournament Championship match.
Jaclyn Ward (senior, Franklin, Wis.) and Julie Spransy (senior, Brown Deer, Wis.), along with Emily McCormick (sophomore, Waukesha, Wis.) and Amanda Ropiak (freshman, Franklin, Wis.) won 8-5 and 8-4, respectively, to propel CUW into an early lead during doubles competition.
CUW ended its season with an 11-12 overall record.
05/04/13 at Kohler, Wis. (Kohler Sports Core)
1. Strehlow, Kaitlyn (WLC) def. Spransy, Julie (CUW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Pearson, Amanda (WLC) def. Ward, Jaclyn (CUW) 6-4, 6-1
3. Hendee, Kathryn (WLC) def. Reinke, Callie (CUW) 6-0, 6-1
4. Strangstalien, A. (WLC) vs. McCormick, Emily (CUW) 7-6 (8-6), 3-1, unfinished
5. Bonnin, Kendall (WLC) def. Knoll, Ashley (CUW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Glasel, Terri (WLC) vs. Ropiak, Amanda (CUW) 7-6 (9-7), 2-0, unfinished
1. Spransy, Julie/Ward, Jaclyn (CUW) def. Strehlow, Kaitlyn/Bonnin, Kendall (WLC) 8-5
2. McCormick, Emily/Ropiak, Amanda (CUW) def. Strangstalien, A./Pearson, Amanda (WLC) 8-4
3. Hendee, Kathryn/Glasel, Terri (WLC) def. Knoll, Ashley/Reinke, Callie (CUW) 8-5
Concordia Wisconsin 11-12
Wisconsin Lutheran 15-6
Northern Athletics Conference Tournament Semifinal
Officials: Vigo, Schlei, Schlei T-2:00