Women's Tennis defeats Dominican in NACC Tournament
JACKSON, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin defeated Dominican University, 5-0, on Thursday night in the first round of the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament at Pleasent Valley Tennis Club.
The Falcons have now advanced to at least the semifinal round of the NACC Tournament in all four years of its existence. It was also the second time they defeated the Stars in the opening round.
CUW (12-11) earned all three doubles points in quick fashion, winning two by 8-2 scores and one by an 8-3 decision. During singles play it was sophomore Ashley Knoll (Wilmot, Wis.) who picked up a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 4 singles. Also, freshman Jessica Sapp (Memphis, Mich.) won 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6 singles to give the Falcons the fifth and deciding point.
While all remaining matches were halted and determined unfinished, senior Kristine Weber (Rochester Hills, Mich.) held a 6-4, 5-1 lead at No. 2 singles.
CUW's next opponent is No. 2-seeded Lakeland College, which will take place on Saturday at 12:15 p.m. at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis.
Concordia Wisconsin 5, Dominican 0
05/01/14 at Jackson, Wis. (Pleasant Valley Tennis Club)
1. McCormick, Emily (CUW) vs. Metcalf, Jillian (DU) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
2. Weber, Kristine (CUW) vs. Berner, Marbeya (DU) 6-4, 5-1, unfinished
3. Carroll, Elizabeth (CUW) vs. Bestler, Natalie (DU) 6-0, 2-1, unfinished
4. Knoll, Ashley (CUW) def. Castaneda, Stephpani (DU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ropiak, Amanda (CUW) vs. Ratterman, Katelyn (DU) 6-1, 1-3, unfinished
6. Sapp, Jessica (CUW) def. Pompea, Kelly (DU) 6-0, 6-2
1. McCormick, Emily/Carroll, Elizabeth (CUW) def. Metcalf, Jillian/Berner, Marbeya (DU) 8-2
2. Weber, Kristine/Knoll, Ashley (CUW) def. Bestler, Natalie/Castaneda, Stephpani (DU) 8-3
3. Wagner, Michaela/Macioch, Alisia (CUW) def. Ratterman, Katelyn/Pompea, Kelly (DU) 8-2
Concordia Wisconsin 12-11
Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament