MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin hosted Edgewood College Wednesday evening, in a battle for sole possession of first place in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference. The Falcons defeated the Eagles 6-3.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 6, Edgewood 3
Location: Mequon, Wis.
Records: Concordia Wisconsin (8-1, 8-0 NACC), Edgewood (8-5, 7-1 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons had this game circled on the calendar since the beginning of the season and it lived up to the hype and expectations. The Falcons began the matchup winning two of the three doubles matches. Freshman duo Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) and Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) won a very good No. 1 doubles match 9-8 (7-3).
- No. 3 doubles partners Sabine Jacobsen (Palantine, Ill.) and Katherine Lindow (Kohler, Wis.) remained undefeated defeating their opponent 8-3.
- In the singles matches, CUW won four out of the six matches. Solberg won the No. 1 singles match in straight sets 6-4, 6-4 over the reigning NACC Player of the Year, Morgan Wilson.
- Sophomore Hannah Tresedder (Kingsford, Mich.) won in straight sets 7-5, 7-6 (6-3), and remained undefeated in conference at No. 2 singles.
- Kelly also had very tough match at the No. 5 singles winning 7-6(7-2), 6-3 also remaining undefeated at No. 5 singles in conference play.
- In the No. 6 singles match, junior Alisia Macioch (South St. Paul, Minn.) had a very tough match going into three sets, winning 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Edgewood won 47-consecutive matches entering tonight and the last time they lost in NACC play was to CUW by a score of 7-2 on Sept. 10, 2011.
- CUW won at least a share of the NACC regular season title, assuming they win its next two league matches, for the first time since the 2011 season.
- Last season the Falcons dropped a 6-3 decision to the Eagles at home, which was also for the NACC regular season title.
- Tresedder has now won both of her doubles matches against the Eagles over the last two years.
- Kelly and Macioch remain as the only Falcons to remain unbeaten in NACC singles play.
- With the win over the Eagles, the Falcons can claim a share of the NACC regular season title with two more wins to end their conference play.
UP NEXT FOR CUW
- The Falcons travel to Wisconsin Lutheran on Friday, Oct. 2 to take on the Warriors at 6:30 pm.
April 30, 2017 Dinner of Champions highlights success over past year
July 25, 2016 Tennis programs place eight on ITA Scholar-Athlete Teams
May 12, 2016 Women's Tennis ends season in NCAA Tournament
April 23, 2016 Women's Tennis snaps skid, defeats UW-Stevens Point
April 16, 2016 Women's Tennis drops matches to North Park, Carroll
April 9, 2016 Women's Tennis drops matches to Warburg, St. Norbert
April 2, 2016 Women's Tennis winning streak snapped
April 1, 2016 Falcons defeat Greenville in non-conference play
March 15, 2016 Women’s Tennis opens up spring trip with a pair of wins
December 15, 2015 Macioch donates bone marrow for woman with Leukemia
October 15, 2015 Falcons represented well in NACC postseason awards
October 5, 2015 Solberg named NACC Women's Tennis Player of the Week
October 3, 2015 Women's Tennis wins NACC regular season title with win over MSOE
October 2, 2015 Women's Tennis earns share of NACC regular season title
September 30, 2015 Women's Tennis defeats perennial power Edgewood
September 28, 2015 Doubles pairings leading Falcons success
September 26, 2015 Falcons compete at USTA/ITA, Gustavus Tournaments
September 22, 2015 Women’s Tennis protects home court, clinches spot in NACC Tournament
September 19, 2015 Women's Tennis stays perfect in NACC play with wins over Cougars, Stars
September 14, 2015 Women’s Tennis continues winning streak at Marian
September 12, 2015 Women’s Tennis remains undefeated in NACC play after a pair of wins
September 5, 2015 Women’s Tennis opens NACC play by defeating Aurora
September 2, 2015 Women's Tennis blanked by Carroll in season opener
August 24, 2015 Women's Tennis assists in Street Life Ministries
August 24, 2015 Women's Tennis selected to finish second in NACC Preseason Poll