MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin finished the regular season on a high note with a 6-3 non-conference victory over UW-Oshkosh on Friday afternoon. The Falcons now have momentum as they enter the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament as the No. 1 seed in just over a week.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 6, UW-Oshkosh 3
Location: Mequon, Wis.
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 19-6, UW-Oshkosh 5-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin won just one of the doubles matches and entered singles play trailing 2-1 in the non-conference matchup. The duo of sophomore Sabine Jacobsen (Palatine, Ill.) and junior Alisia Macioch (South St. Paul, Minn.) won their No. 3 match by an 8-5 decision.
- The Falcons controlled singles play, winning all but one of the outcomes. Freshman Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) earned a 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 1 singles, while Jacobsen defeated her No. 3 singles opponent 6-0, 6-4. As well, freshman Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) picked up a 6-1, 6-4 victory at the No. 4 position and junior Michaela Wagner (Oswego, Ill.) recorded a difficult 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4) win at No. 5 singles. Macioch earned a 6-3, 6-0 decision in her favor at No. 6 singles.
- CUW finishes the regular season at 9-6 against non-conference opponents, which includes a 2-3 record against foes from the state of Wisconsin. Both victories came within the last week against schools from the WIAC.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kelly tied the program record for singles victories in a season and how has 20 wins.
- Jacobsen became just the second player in program history to reach 20 victories in doubles action for a season.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- CUW enters the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament as the No. 1 seed. The tournament is held in Madison, Wis., at Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The Falcons semifinal opponent will be determined after Wednesday's quarterfinal matches are played.