MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Tennis team was definitely more challenged Sunday than it was in the first two NACC matches of the season thus far. Still, the Falcons showed they are the team to beat in the conference, picking up a 7-2 win over Alverno at the CUW Tennis Courts.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 7, Alverno 2
- Location: CUW Tennis Courts – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: CUW 4-0, 3-0 NACC; Alverno, 2-5, 1-2 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At No. 1 singles, sophomore Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) gained a straight sets win over one of the Co-NACC Players of the Year from a season ago, Asia Yeo-Butler. Solberg posted a 6-3, 6-4 win for the Falcons, who won five of six in singles competition.
- Sophomore Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) gained a 6-0, 6-4 win at the No. 3 singles spot for the Falcons, while junior Elizabeth Carroll (Hartford, Wis.) added a 6-1, 6-3 win in the No. 4 singles match.
- CUW also picked up victories at No. 5 and 6 singles as freshman Emma Sievers (Slinger, Wis.) posted a 6-2, 6-2 victory in No. 5 play, while junior Sabine Jacobsen (Palatine, Ill.) netted a 6-0, 6-1 victory in her No. 6 singles match.
- The Falcons began the day with wins in two of three doubles matches, including a thrilling 9-8 (7-3) victory at No. 2 doubles by Kelly and junior Hannah Tresedder (Kingsford, Mich.). Jacobsen and senior Michaela Wagner (Oswego, Ill.) added an 8-1 win in the No. 3 doubles match.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW now has a 13-match NACC regular season winning streak dating back to last season.
- The two losses on Sunday were the first two of the season for CUW in NACC competition. The Falcons opened conference play with 9-0 wins over Lakeland and Concordia Chicago.
- CUW will take on Edgewood and Marian next Saturday at home. The match against Edgewood is set for a 10 a.m. start and will be a rematch of last year's NACC Championship.