MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin came out on top of Saturday's non-conference matchups against Carroll and Dubuque, winning to the tune of 8-1 against both teams, which helped snap a three-game losing streak.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 8, Carroll 1; Concordia Wisconsin 8, Dubuque 1
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 13-8, 9-0 NACC; Carroll 11-10, 4-4 (Conf): Dubuque
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin gave up just two points during Saturday's matches. The Falcons controlled both matches, winning 5-of-6 doubles matches and 11-of-12 singles matches against the Pioneers and Spartans.
- Sophomore Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) went three sets with Carroll's Lauren Miketinac at No. 1 singles. She won the first set 6-2, but Miketinac showed resilience by coming back in the second and winning 6-2. In a battle for a team point, Solberg came out on top to notch the first CUW singles victory.
- Senior Michaela Wagner (Oswego, Ill) and freshman Emma Sievers (Slinger, Wis.) also had strong performances winning 6-0, 6-0 and 6-1, 6-1, respectively. Junior Hannah Tresedder (Kingsford, Mich.) also came away with a singles win after a tight score of 7-6 in set one and 6-3 in set two against Carroll.
- The afternoon dual was much of the same, with the score again ending at 8-1. The Falcons gave up just one point in the single matches this time. The doubles group for the hosts outscored Dubuque 24-9 and winning all three.
- Junior Elizabeth Carroll (Hartford, Wis.), Tresedder and junior Sabine Jaconbsen (Palatine, Ill.) all had convincing victories over their Spartan opponents by taking sets 6-0 or 6-1.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons have collected two wins from the Pioneers in back-to-back matches after allowing seven in a row to Carroll in previous meetings.
- Sievers is on a three-match singles winning streak, bringing her overall record to 14-7. Carroll moves to 7-3 in her last 10 matches.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will travel to the Western Racquet Club in Green Bay, Wisconsin to take on St. Norbert and UW-River Falls on Sunday starting at 9 am.