CUW TRAVELS TO ILLINOIS WESLEYAN AND THE BARKER CHEVROLET CLASSIC
- Concordia University Wisconsin continues its grueling road trip playing games 4-7 in Bloomington, Ill.
- The Falcons dropped three-consecutive matches at the Concordia Invitational Tournament in Austin, Texas, to begin the 2012 campaign.
- CUW scored reached the 20-point plateau just twice in nine sets, as they look to find the right rotations on the court. In all, 13 student-athletes received playing time.
LAST WEEK AT A GLANCE: A MIX OF TALENT LOOKING TO FIND RHYTHM
- CUW nearly has a new starting lineup from last year, as it leans on two seniors and returning talent for scoring runs.
- Sophomore transfer Carley Valentine (De Pere, Wis.) has secured the setter positions and led the Falcons with 42 assists (4.67 per set) during three matches last week. The marketing and business administration major came to CUW after playing for St. Norbert College during the 2011 season.
- A mixed bag of attackers have led the Falcons, thus far. Senior Amanda Stahmann (Van Dyne, Wis.) smashed 14 kills during three matches last week, but she was just one-of-two players – along with sophomore Hannah Griffiths (Antigo, Wis.) – to finish with a positive attacking percentage among players with 30 or more attacks.
- CUW's serve receive will have to improve as its opponents accumulated 33 service aces in nine sets played.
- Defensively, junior Lauren Gonring (Kewaskum, Wis.) paced the Falcons with 24 digs. She had team-highs in all three matches last week.
WHO IS AT THE BARKER CHEVROLET CLASSIC?
- Schools participating in the tournament, along with CUW, are host Illinois Wesleyan University, Illinois College, Monmouth College, Eureka College, Fontbonne University, Knox College, and Lincoln Christian University.
- CUW is schedule to play Eureka College on Friday at 5 p.m., Illinois Wesleyan University on Friday at 7 p.m., Knox College on Saturday at 10 a.m. and Illinois College on Saturday at 12 p.m.
LOOKING AHEAD: MORE TOURNAMENT PLAY AND NORTHERN ATHLETICS CONFERENCE ACTION ON THE HORIZON
- CUW opens Northern Athletics Conference play on Tuesday, Sept. 11 when it travels to rival Lakeland College for a 7 p.m. showdown. Last season the Muskies defeated the Falcons, 3-2, inside the R. John Buuck Field House. The league contest featured 24 scoring ties and 11 lead changes.
- The Falcons finally get to play in front of their home crowd on Thursday, Sept. 13 when they host Marian University. However, they will have just enough time to wash their laundry because they return to the road for the UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic, a NAC match at Maranatha Baptist Bible College (Sept. 18), the Linda Slagell Classic and two more NAC matchups for before returning home on Sept. 29.
SAVE THE DATE
Important dates to remember (all times CDT):
- The Falcons have just five home dates on the 2012 schedule. More importantly, four of the five home contests are against programs that were selected to finish higher than CUW in the NAC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
- Thursday, Sept. 13 (7 p.m.) – CUW hosts Marian University.
- Saturday, Sept. 29 (2 p.m.) – CUW hosts Wisconsin Lutheran College.
- Wednesday, Oct. 10 (7 p.m.) – CUW hosts Dominican University.
- Tuesday, Oct. 16 (7 p.m.) – CUW hosts Edgewood College.
- Friday, Oct. 19 (7 p.m.) – CUW hosts Concordia University Chicago on Senior Night.