MILWAUKEE, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin had one of its best offensive performances in nearly three weeks on Friday evening during a 3-0 (25-16, 25-13, 25-19) victory at Alverno College. The win keeps the Falcons on track for the third seed in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Alverno 0 (25-16, 25-13, 25-19)
Location: Reiman Gymnasium (Milwaukee, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 15-9 (8-2 NACC), Alverno 7-20 (0-10 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons flexed their muscles on both sides of the ball. The offense hit .313 (33K-7E-83A) and the defense recorded 11.0 total blocks (20 block assists). They also led by as many as six points in each of the three sets.
- CUW built an 11-5 lead during the opening set, with a 4-0 run coming when senior Kelsa Rubeck (Eau Claire, Wis.) was serving. They pushed the advantage to double-figures, 23-13, before eventually winning 25-16.
- The second frame was all Falcons down the stretch, as they overcame a quick 6-1 deficit with a 9-1 scoring run to take a 10-7 lead. After a few exchanged points, junior Karina Klotz (Hubertus, Wis.) helped the visitors score seven-straight points with her serving to go ahead by 12 points before winning 25-13.
- The third set was the closest with eight scoring ties and four lead changes. Each team went back-and-forth and the scoreboard favored the Falcons 18-15 midway through. CUW then scored three-consecutive points or five of the next six to take control and move on for a 25-19 set win for the sweeping victory.
- Sophomore Kaily Moegenburg (Plymouth, Wis.) moved back to an outside hitter and finished with a match-high-tying nine kills and a .364 attack percentage. As well, junior Amanda Lehnerz (West Bend, Wis.) and sophomore Lauren Nevinski (New Berlin, Wis.) added seven kills apiece. The trio combined to hit .467 (23K-2E-45A).
- Klotz and freshman Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) combined for 27 assists, while freshman Lindsay Capser (Hubertus, Wis.) served a pair of aces.
- Defensively, Casper dug nine attack attempts and Nevinski recorded a solo block and six block assists. Moegenburg added five block assists and freshman Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) had four block assists of her own.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- If the Falcons defeat Rockford on Saturday they have clinched the third seed in the NACC Tournament, which begins on Tuesday.
- CUW's .313 attack percentage was the second highest of the season, behind a .381 performance during a sweep against Aurora on October 2.
- Alverno was the seventh opponent this season CUW held below a .100 attack percentage.
- Casper's two service aces tied a career high.
- Schultz has returned from injury and recorded seven block assists in the past two matches.
- Melissa Weyand led the Inferno with nine kills, while Naomi Jordan smashed five kills.
- Meranda Masse directed the offense with 19 assists and Jessica Wewers served a pair of aces.
- Danielle Schilawski led all players with 12 digs and Alyssa Reinke and Wewers each had a pair of block assists.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will conclude the NACC portion of their schedule with a Senior Day match at 12 pm against Rockford.