MEQUON, Wis. – An 11-1 scoring run in the opening set was all Concordia Wisconsin needed to get in a groove and eventually defeat Concordia Ann Arbor 3-0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-21) in its season-opening.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Concordia Ann Arbor 0
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, Concordia Ann Arbor 0-9
QUOTING KAILY (MOEGENBURG) ERDMAN
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sometimes it takes time at a beginning of a season to find a rhythm and Concordia Wisconsin needed just half of the opening set to take control. After trailing 9-7 to the Cardinals, they rattled off an 11-1 scoring run to blow the frame wide open and eventually win 25-17.
- The set second can be summarized by spurts of great play and times of needed improvement. What matters is the quality play that was enough for an 8-1 scoring run to take a 14-7 lead and never look back. The Falcons led the match 2-0 after taking the set 25-18.
- Concordia Wisconsin wanted nothing but a sweep, as it charged out of the gate to a 6-0 advantage in the final stanza and increased the lead as each point was added to the scoreboard. A Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) kill slammed the door shut on an important match to begin the year.
- Sophomore Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) led all players with nine kills, while five of her teammates had four or more kills in the victory.
- Junior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) and junior Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) combined for 31 assists, while sophomore Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) served a trio of aces.
- Seniors Lindsey Casper (Hubertus, Wis.) and Kaily (Moegenburg) Erdman finished with 13 and 12 digs, respectively. Senior Lauren Nevinski (New Berlin, Wis.) had three block assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons improved their record to 27-6 over the past three-plus seasons at home and 20 of those wins have come in a sweeping result.
- Concordia Wisconsin limited Concordia Ann Arbor to a dismal .010 attack percentage (24K-24E-98E).
- The Falcons are 4-0 in their last four matches of the Concordia Invitational Tournament.
- Alisha Anderson had a team-high seven kills, while Kylie Frank dished out 11 assists.
- Denae Tolu led the defensive efforts with 13 digs.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons host Concordia Texas at 9 am on Saturday, along with Concordia Chicago at 3 pm inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
November 16, 2017 Erdman garners AVCA All-America Honorable Mention honors
November 9, 2017 Erdman, Nevinski, Katz receive AVCA recognition
November 9, 2017 Falcons end season in NCAA Tournament
November 6, 2017 Women's Volleyball to play Carthage in NCAA Tournament
November 4, 2017 NACC Tournament Champions!
November 2, 2017 Women’s Volleyball advances to NACC Tournament Championship
November 2, 2017 Erdman wins POY, Katz named COY in NACC Women’s Volleyball awards
November 1, 2017 Erdman named NACC Player of the Week
November 1, 2017 Women's Volleyball gaining respect nationally
October 28, 2017 Women's Volleyball upsets Warhawks in thrilling five set victory
October 25, 2017 Women's Volleyball receives votes in AVCA poll
October 24, 2017 Nevinski named NACC Player of the Week
October 24, 2017 Falcons repeat as NACC regular season champs!
October 21, 2017 Seniors lead Falcons to share of NACC regular season title
October 20, 2017 Falcons defeat Spartans in battle of NACC’s undefeated teams
October 19, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Falcons have important NACC matches in sight
October 16, 2017 #CUWStatsInfo: Katz becomes program's fastest coach to 100 wins
October 14, 2017 Falcons remain perfect in NACC play
October 13, 2017 Katz reaches 100 wins milestone in Women’s Volleyball victory
October 7, 2017 Experienced gained in Women’s Volleyball victory
October 6, 2017 Falcons overcome slow start against Eagles, Nevinski sets record
October 5, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Busy weekend ahead for Falcons
October 4, 2017 Falcons sweep Pointers in convincing fashion
October 3, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Falcons welcome nationally ranked Pointers
September 30, 2017 Women’s Volleyball extends NACC winning streak to 17 matches
September 29, 2017 A force to be reckoned with
September 29, 2017 Women's Volleyball sweeps Wisconsin Lutheran in NACC road match
September 23, 2017 Schultz smashes 32 kills, Women’s Volleyball splits matches
September 22, 2017 Falcons sweep two on first day of NACC/IIAC Challenge
September 21, 2017 Block Solo Notes: NACC-IIAC Challenge Series on the horizon
September 20, 2017 Falcons offense on fire during sweep of Sabres
September 15, 2017 First set energy propels Falcons to another sweep
September 13, 2017 Falcons begin NACC play on positive note
September 12, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Falcons host Muskies in NACC opener
September 9, 2017 Falcons sweep both opponents to close Pizza Hut Classic
September 8, 2017 Women’s Volleyball splits matches at Pizza Hut Classic
September 5, 2017 Women’s Volleyball sweeps Lake Forest
September 2, 2017 Falcons are back-to-back CIT champs!
September 1, 2017 Falcons fly by Cardinals in season-opening sweep
August 24, 2017 Women's Volleyball picked to repeat as NACC champions
May 9, 2017 Support the Volleyball program