MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin overcame a poor offensive performance in the first set and found its groove to defeat Edgewood 3-1 (16-25, 25-19, 25-20, 25-21) on Friday night inside the R. John Buuck Field House. The Falcons' Lauren Nevinski set the program and NACC record for career block assists during the victory.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Edgewood 1 (16-25, 25-19, 25-20, 25-21)
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 19-2, 4-0 NACC; Edgewood 9-11, 4-1 NACC
QUOTING LAUREN NEVINSKI
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin seemed out of rhythm to begin the match, hitting a -.030 percentage, while Edgewood ran away with a 25-16 first set win. The momentum shifted fast, as the Falcons responded with a .259 attack percentage and held the Eagles to .000 to knot the scoreboard at 1-1.
- Senior Lauren Nevinski (New Berlin, Wis.) needed three block assists to set the program and NACC record for block assists, achieved the milestone in the second set. She became just one of three NACC players with 300-plus block assists.
- The match continued to be close through sets three and four, as there were a combined 27 ties and 12 lead changes in the back-and-forth four-set matchup.
- Concordia Wisconsin put together an important 8-4 scoring run to close out the match and hit .412 in the final frame for added insurance.
- Senior Kaily (Moegenburg) Erdman (Plymouth, Wis.) smashed a match-best 13 kills and hit .333, while junior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) tallied nine kills and a .348 attack percentage. Sophomore Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) added eight kills.
- Juniors Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) and Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) assisted on 21 and 15 kills, respectively.
- Senior Lindsey Casper (Hubertus, Wis.) dug a team-high 22 attack attempts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With the victory and an Aurora win makes them the last two undefeated teams in league play with 5-0 records.
- The Falcons with 9.5 total team blocks.
- Renee Meister ended with 10 kills and a .350 attack percentage to lead the Eagles offense.
- Haley Schwenn and Alex Zapuchlak combined for 31 assists, while Sarah Uczen had four service aces. Schwenn also had three service aces.
- Uczen dug a match-best 23 attack attempts.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Rockford on Saturday at 12 pm in a NACC contest inside the R. John Buuck Field House.