Whitewater, Wis. – In what was a highly anticipated matchup between two teams that are near the top of their respected conferences, it was Concordia Wisconsin that came out on top and upset the No. 9 Ranked UW-Whitewater Warhawks 3-2 in five sets.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, UW- Whitewater 2
Location: Russell Area (Whitewater Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 26-2 (11-0 NACC), UW-Whitewater 20-7 (5-2 WIAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In an intense bounce-back win in the fourth set the Falcons found themselves down 6-2 in the fifth and final set that would decide it all. Concordia Wisconsin pulled within one point after a kill by junior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) and two blocks by senior Lauren Nevinski (New Berlin, Wis.). The Falcons fell behind again 9-6 only to rattle off three straight points on three momentum turning kills from senior Kaily (Moegenburg) Erdman (Plymouth, Wis.) and sophomore Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Wis.). CUW went on a 6-2 scoring run to close out the game that came with two kills from Erdman, ace by junior Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) and a final put away kill from Nevinski.
- Concordia Wisconsin started off behind by losing a hard-fought first set by the score of 25-19. The Falcons were able to get even with UW-Whitewater as they soared to a 25-15 set two victory. That was attributed from strong scoring runs of 5-1 to start the match and 8-1 to put the second set away for CUW.
- With the two teams knotted up at one set apiece the Warhawks and Falcons battled hard for much needed set win. With a back a fourth third set it was UW-Whitewater that capitalized on opportunities that put them over the top and back in control up two sets to one. Concordia Wisconsin trailed 6-10 early in the fourth set. Sophomore Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) was able to tie it up with an important kill that brought the score to 13-13 after some key plays from Concordia Wisconsin. Erdman was then able to boost the Falcons to an eight-point lead as she produced six kills during a 10-4 scoring run for CUW, which ended up propelling Concordia Wisconsin to a 25-19 set four victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Erdman was able to compile 26 kills which are tied for second most kills in a match all-time. Her 28 points are good enough to be tied for sixth most in-game all-time.
- Concordia Wisconsin won its first match ever against UW-Whitewater as the series is now 1-6 in favor of the Warhawks. The Falcons victory over the Warhawks, who are ranked ninth in the latest AVCA Top-25 poll, is the highest known win over an opponent ranked that high in program history.
- UW-Whitewater was led by Sydney Racky who recorded 19 points in the match. With a team-high 19 kills.
- Amanda Spera was also able to record 15 points that included four serving aces.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will enter NACC Tournament play on Thursday, November 2nd.