TUCSON, Ariz. – A four-run ninth inning lifted the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team to a 6-2 game two win, resulting in a split with Sul Ross St. Sunday night in Tucson. The Falcons dropped the opener 8-7.
- Final Scores: Sul Ross St. 8, Concordia Wisconsin 7 (Game 1); CUW 6, Sul Ross St. 2 (F/9 – Game 2)
- Location: Kino Sports Complex – Tucson, Ariz.
- Records: CUW 1-3; Sul Ross St. 8-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the nightcap CUW entered the seventh with a 2-1 lead but saw the Lobos rally with a run to force extra innings. The Falcons had the final answer, scoring four times in the top of the ninth for a 6-2 win. Senior Nate Van Ells (Greendale, Wis.) had the go-ahead RBI single, while junior Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.) recorded a two-RBI double in the frame.
- Senior Andrew Mueller (Horicon, Wis.) picked up the win in relief for the Falcons, pitching 2.2 scoreless innings. Mueller struck out three and allowed two hits. Senior Tyler Gross (Wauwatosa, Wis.) got the start and pitched well, allowing two runs, one earned in 6.1 innings of work. He struck out three and scattered six hits.
- Junior Mitchell Dubnicka (Hartland, Wis.) paced the Falcons offense with three hits, including a triple in the game two win. Tewes, Van Ells, and sophomore Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) each added a pair of hits.
- In the opener CUW made an attempt at a comeback win, but ultimately fell one run short, falling 8-7. CUW trailed 7-0 after four innings of play, but put up five in the fifth and two in the sixth to make the score 8-7.
- Junior Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) recorded three hits and drove in a pair of runs in the opener, while sophomore Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.) added two hits and drove in two as well. Junior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) also had two hits for the Falcons.
- Freshman Seth Hougesen (Indianapolis, Ind.) was the pitcher of record for the Falcons in his collegiate debut in the opener.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Mueller was pitching for the first time since the 2013 season. The senior missed the last two years due to injury and posted a 2.62 ERA in 86 innings in 2013.
- The Falcons are off Monday before returning to action Tuesday with a twinbill against Dubuque. First pitch is set for 10 a.m. (PST).