MEQUON, Wis. – Junior Andrew Heideman tossed a gem in the opener and the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team rallied late in game two, completing a key sweep over Rockford University in a NACC twinbill Sunday at Kapco Park. Heideman's two-hitter helped the Falcons win the opener 3-2, while CUW scored nine times over the seventh and eighth innings in game two for a 9-3 win.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Rockford 2 (Game 1); Concordia Wisconsin 9, Rockford 3 (Game 2)
- Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 12-12, 6-4 NACC; Rockford 11-14, 4-6 NACC
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- In what was a pitcher's duel between Heideman (Bakersfield, Calif.) and David Camacho, Heideman gained the upper hand with his two-hit effort. What was even more impressive was both hits for Rockford came in the first three batters of the game as he settled in nicely. Heideman finished the game with nine strikeouts and no walks, allowing two runs, one earned.
- The Regents scored both runs in the first, but the Falcons responded with two in the third on a two-RBI double off the bat of junior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.). Thomas drove in sophomores Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) and Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.).
- Senior Nate Van Ells gave the Falcons the lead with his go-ahead single in the bottom of the eighth. Van Ells (Greendale, Wis.) singled in senior Jordan Mathiebe (Brillion, Wis.). Heideman then retired the Regents in order, including two strikeouts, in the ninth for the one-run win.
- Heideman retired the final 20 batters he faced on Sunday. After the first three batters he faced reached, Heideman only allowed one other runner to reach first. That runner only gained first after a wild pitch on a strikeout, as the Falcons junior right-hander was impossible to solve from the second inning on.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons trailed 3-0 entering the bottom half of the seventh before rallying for five runs, thanks in large part due to three Rockford errors in the frame. Still, CUW collected four hits in the frame, including a two-RBI single by sophomore Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.), an RBI double from junior Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.) and an RBI single by Thyssen.
- CUW would add four more runs in the eighth, building a 9-3 lead. Tewes drove in another run in the frame, while Van Ells brought home two with a single. Freshman Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.) made the lead six with an RBI single later in the eighth.
- Sophomore Mike Magdziarz (Frankfort, Ill.) picked up his third win of the week with three strong innings in relief. He gave up one unearned run, while striking out three in relief of starter, freshman Seth Hougesen. Hougesen (Indianapolis, Ind.) pitched well also, allowing just two runs (one earned), in six innings of work. He struck out four and scattered seven hits.
- Tewes had two hits, including the double, while Hilliard collected two hits, drove in two and scored twice to pace the Falcons offense.
- The Falcons will return to action Wednesday with a non-conference trip to North Park. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.