SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team had all facets of its game working on Saturday as the Falcons dealt Lakeland College a pair of defeats via run rules in a NACC sweep. CUW won the opener 10-0 in seven innings before taking game two by a 14-0 score, also in seven.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 10, Lakeland 0 (F/7 – Game 1); Concordia Wisconsin 14, Lakeland 0 (F/7 – Game 2)
- Location: Muskie Baseball Field – Sheboygan, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 15-13, 8-4 NACC; Lakeland 8-17, 4-8 NACC
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Senior Tyler Gross (Wauwatosa, Wis.) delivered a four-hit shutout for the Falcons in the opener. Gross went the distance, allowing four hits and walking four, while striking out one in his second win of 2016.
- The Falcons used four-run innings in the fourth and seventh for a majority of their offense. CUW added runs in in the fourth and sixth innings. Sophomore Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) belted his first career collegiate home run in the win, a solo shot in the sixth.
- Sophomore Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) continued his hot streak at the plate, pacing the Falcons with three hits, including a double. Hilliard also scored once and drove in a run. Sophomore Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) added two hits, including a double, while scoring once and driving in a run.
- Adding two hits for the Falcons was junior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) who finished the game 2-for-3 with two runs scored and two RBI. Leadoff man, junior Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) and junior Isaac Tewes each drove in two for the Falcons.
- All nine of the Falcons in the starting lineup scored in the opener providing a balanced attack. CUW also got hits from seven of nine players in the 10-0 win.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Freshman Seth Hougesen (Indianapolis, Ind.) picked up his first career win in a Falcons uniform with a complete game effort. Hougesen fanned nine, while allowing five hits in the shutout victory.
- The Falcons scored in five of seven innings, including a six-run third. Six players scored two runs each for the Falcons: Ranieri, Thyssen, Hilliard, Tewes, senior Nate Van Ells (Greendale, Wis.) and sophomore Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.).
- Hilliard again collected three hits for CUW, going 3-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored. Schubert drove in two runs, while Szeszol finished the game 2-for-3 with a double, triple and two-RBI. Junior Luke Wirtz (Marshfield, Wis.) added a solo home run in his only at bat, coming in the seventh inning.
- Junior Mitchell Dubnicka (Hartland, Wis.) drove in two runs and doubled, while Tewes added a double for CUW.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Over the past three games (two today, Maranatha Friday) CUW has allowed no runs. The Falcons have held their opponents scoreless for 23 consecutive innings, allowing just nine hits.
- CUW will look to keep things rolling in a NACC doubleheader against Benedictine tomorrow. First pitch from Kapco Park is set for noon.