MEQUON, Wis. – It's difficult to successfully complete an onside kick and Concordia Wisconsin nearly had three during the fourth quarter of Saturday's 27-24 non-conference loss to Augsburg. The Falcons trailed 27-10 with four minutes to play and scored back-to-back touchdowns to get within one score late in the game.
Final Score: Augsburg 27, Concordia Wisconsin 24
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Augsburg 2-0, Concordia Wisconsin 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The offense was stagnant for most of the game until a pair of touchdown drives turned a 27-10 deficit into a one-score game with 13 seconds play. Concordia Wisconsin completed a 10-play, 75-yard drive that was capped with an Aaron Nixon to Josh Sanders fade route touchdown pass in the right corner of the end zone.
- Following a successful onside kick, the Falcons drove 50 yards down the field and the Nixon to Sanders duo struck again with a 24-yard pass and catch score to put the scoreboard at 27-24 in favor of the visitors.
- When most teams struggle to complete an onside kick, Concordia Wisconsin almost had three in the game. The first was a close call as Jacob Mason kicked the ball in front of him and chased it down, but the officials called him for illegally touching the ball before the required 10-yard distance was met. However, his second attempt was successful. The third attempt was also close, as the ball caromed off an Augsburg player, but was eventually recovered by the visitors.
- The Auggies scored 20 unanswered points to own an advantage before the Falcons' Mason (senior, Slinger, Wis.) kicked an 18-yard field goal as time expired before halftime.
- Concordia Wisconsin's first touchdown of the game came on a 60-yard scamper by Nixon (senior, North Prairie, Wis.) as he bounced in and around defenders before running down the right sideline and beating a defensive back to the pylon.
- Nixon ended the game with 358 passing yards on 33-of-51 passing with two touchdown passes. He also ran for 145 yards and a touchdown.
- Sanders (senior, Phoenix, Ariz.) was the go-to target with career-highs in receptions (15) and yards (189) and two scoring grabs.
- Sophomore Dwayne Rackard III (Orlando, Fla.) led the defensive efforts with 11 tackles, while sophomore Justin Dunlap (Henderson, Nev.) and sophomore Alex Loding (Mundelein, Ill.) each had eight tackles.
- Augsburg was whistled for six penalties (53 yards), while Concordia Wisconsin had 13 infractions (130 yards). The visitors were 10-of-15 on third down, as the hosts were 7-of-15.
- Keith Anthony rushed for 109 yards on 20 carries and Quentin Lake threw for 119 yards and two touchdowns after entering as the backup quarterback.
- Nick Heenie hauled in 11 passes for 151 yards and two touchdowns.
- Derek Glynn led all players with 13 tackles (six solo) and the defensive unit had six pass breakups.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Alma on Saturday, September 15 at 1 pm as part of the NACC/MIAA Challenge Series matchup.