MEQUON, Wis. – A frantic pace to begin Saturday's game eventually slowed down and Concordia Wisconsin used two long-sustaining drives in the second half to grind out a 26-15 victory over Alma in the NACC-MIAA Challenge Series game.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 26, Alma 15
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-1, Alma 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- There were 11 combined possessions just in the opening quarter on a beautiful afternoon at Tomasini Stadium, before things slowed down and each time had to work for every yard. The Falcons scored a pair of first-quarter touchdowns but had each extra point blocked to eventually own a 12-0 lead at halftime.
- Alma made it interesting midway through the fourth quarter by scoring on a 1-yard touchdown run to get within three points, 18-15, with 7:43 to play.
- On the ensuing possession, Concordia Wisconsin put together a 10-play, 70-yard drive that covered five minutes and 45 seconds before freshman Josh Turner (Palatine, Ill.) pounded home a 5-yard scoring run. Nixon sealed the victory with a successful two-point conversion run.
- The big story in the first quarter was Aaron Nixon connecting with Josh Sanders for 156 yards and two scores, making those in the press box start to research the all-time record for receiving yards in a game. Sanders (senior, Phoenix, Ariz.) ended with 179 yards on nine receptions in the game.
- Nixon (senior, North Prairie, Wis.) went 21-of-32 for 277 yards and two touchdowns, while also running for 55 yards and a score.
- Sophomore Dwayne Rackard III (Orlando, Fla.) led the defensive efforts with 12 tackles, while sophomore Justin Dunlap (Henderson, Nev.) recorded 10 of his own. Sophomore Josiah McDermit (Kansasville, Wis.) shined with a pair of interceptions returned for 51 total yards. Sophomore Philip Johnson (Glenview, Ill.) also recovered a fumble in the opening quarter.
- Special teams don't always make headlines, but senior Jacob Mason (Slinger, Wis.) punted well with four kicks for an average of 47.2 yards and had a long of 52 yards.
- The Falcons defense held the Scots to 153 total offensive yards in the opening half and of those 47 were through the air.
- Mason Ippel led the ground attack with 129 yards, while also throwing for 107 on 13-of-29 passing.
- Zach Clements punted six times and twice pinned Concordia Wisconsin inside the 20-yard line.
- Max Kretzschmar picked off a pass and Jacob Wildenhau had 1.5 tackles for loss.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin has next week off before returning to the gridiron on Saturday, September 29 at Benedictine for the NACC opener.
July 29, 2019 23rd Annual Football golf outing a success
April 10, 2019 Bartholomew inducted into WFCA Hall of Fame
April 10, 2019 Mason named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
December 12, 2018 Football announces post-season team awards
December 4, 2018 Where passion triumphs paychecks
November 16, 2018 All-NACC Football postseason awards announced
November 15, 2018 Mason earns academic all-district honors
November 13, 2018 Stewart named NACC Defensive Player of the Week
November 10, 2018 Seniors earn memorable Luther Cup victory
November 3, 2018 Football drops NACC game at Rockford
October 29, 2018 CUW mourns passing of Arnie Garber
October 27, 2018 Football stunned in final seconds by Eureka
October 23, 2018 Mason named NACC Special Teams Player of the Week
October 22, 2018 Josh Sanders: pushing himself forward
October 13, 2018 Football earns come-from-behind victory
October 6, 2018 Defensive state of mind
October 2, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 2, 2018)
October 2, 2018 Nixon named NACC Offensive Player of the Week
September 29, 2018 Offense explodes in victory at Benedictine
September 18, 2018 Mason, McDermit earn NACC weekly honors
September 18, 2018 Football hosts youth clinic
September 15, 2018 Football grinds out victory over Scots
September 11, 2018 Nixon earns NACC Offensive Player of the Week
September 8, 2018 Football scores three TDs in fourth during home opener
September 1, 2018 Football scores early in season-opening road win at Finlandia
August 28, 2018 #CUWStatsInfo: Football ready for 2018 season
August 17, 2018 Football chosen to finish sixth in NACC preseason poll
August 16, 2018 A bond built on trust