RICHMOND, Ind. – Host Earlham scored three times in the second half to hand the Concordia University Wisconsin Field Hockey team its first setback of the 2018 season Saturday. The Falcons led 2-1 at the break but were outscored 3-0 in the second 35 minutes for a 4-2 final.
- Final Score: Earlham 4, Concordia Wisconsin 2
- Location: Moss Field – Richmond, Indiana
- Records: Earlham 3-3; Concordia Wisconsin 3-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons struck first on Saturday as freshman Gabrielle Poole (Rindge, N.H.) scored in the ninth minute. Earlham would tie the game later in the opening half, but Brianna Buehler (Hartland, Wis.) scored with 1:40 left in the opening half off a pass from Sam Dunn (Sussex, Wis.) for a 2-1 Falcons halftime lead.
- CUW led at the half despite being outshot, 12-4. Katelyn Fitzgerald (Wood River, Ill.) made nine first-half saves to keep the Falcons in front.
- Earlham's pressure continued in the second half and it proved to be too much for the Falcons. The Quakers outshot CUW 14-4 in the second half and converted on three of those chances for the 4-2 final. Denise Bergdolt tallied the final two goals, the first of those counting as the game-winner, for the Quakers.
- Fitzgerald finished the contest with 14 saves for the Falcons. CUW was outshot, 26-8, as Earlham's goalie, Catherine Slater, finished with two saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons and Quakers were supposed to meet last weekend as well in the Wilson Invitational championship contest. Weather forced a cancellation of that matchup, meaning Saturday's game would be the only time these two would face off in 2018.
- The Falcons will take on Division II Bellarmine in an exhibition game tomorrow afternoon. The contest is scheduled for an 11 a.m. eastern start.
March 27, 2019 Buehler and Poole named Scholars of Distinction
March 20, 2019 Nine Falcons named to NFCHA National Academic Squad
March 13, 2019 Field Hockey claims NFHCA National Academic Team Award
November 28, 2018 Field Hockey lands two LongStreth/NFHCA All-Region selections
November 19, 2018 Field Hockey looks to build off a record-breaking season
November 6, 2018 Field Hockey trio earns All-SAA honors
November 4, 2018 Buehler and Dunn named to SAA All-Tournament Team
November 3, 2018 Falcons’ record-breaking journey ends in SAA Semifinals
November 2, 2018 Field Hockey bounces Hendrix in SAA Quarterfinals
October 27, 2018 Field Hockey slips at Sewanee
October 21, 2018 Field Hockey Sinks Hendrix
October 20, 2018 Field Hockey Falls at Rhodes
October 17, 2018 DePauw Spoils Senior Day for Field Hockey
October 16, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 16, 2018)
October 10, 2018 Blog: O'Connor recounts spring mission trip to Italy
October 7, 2018 Field Hockey scoreless at Rhodes
September 30, 2018 McPike leads Field Hockey past Randolph-Macon
September 29, 2018 Field Hockey shut out by Christopher Newport
September 23, 2018 McPike ties season goal, point marks; Field Hockey falls at Centre
September 22, 2018 McPike, Faubel lead Field Hockey in conference-opening win
September 15, 2018 Field Hockey suffers first setback of 2018 at Earlham
September 8, 2018 Falcons power through Sweet Briar for third-straight win
September 2, 2018 Rookies lead Field Hockey to second-straight win to start 2018
September 1, 2018 Dunn, McPike net hat tricks in Falcons convincing season-opening win
April 19, 2018 CUW announces incoming student-athletes