MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin and the Rockford Regents battled for an important Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference victory on Saturday. The Falcons came out on top by the score of 90-83, in a fast-paced tilt that was fueled by a huge second half performance and on a night that will be unforgettable for Concordia Wisconsin.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 90, Rockford 83
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-5 (11-2 NACC); Rockford 8-9 (7-5 NACC)
QUOTING JARED JURSS
HOW IT HAPPENED
- This night is always special to coaches and players at Concordia Wisconsin, as Mel's Charity and the Ozaukee County Special Olympics were in attendance and packed the stands to cheer on the Falcons. The game itself did not disappoint. The instant classic saw CUW climb back into the game after being down by 19 points at one moment in the first half. Concordia Wisconsin shot a blazing 54.8 percent from the field that was aided by Freshman Jared Jurss' (Sheboygan, Wis.) record breaking night, as he dished out a CUW program record 15 assists and help lead Concordia Wisconsin to a 90-83 come from behind victory.
- The Sheboygan Native was dealing dimes left and right, as the final record-breaking assist went to no one other than his brother, senior Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) who locked eyes with his younger brother from the left wing and cut back door on his defender. Jared took care of the rest, as the freshman whipped in a perfectly placed one-handed bounce pass to set the record and give the Falcons momentum in a tightly contested game.
- Rockford did put up a fight however, as the Regents were all over CUW early on in the contest. Rockford went on a 20-to-9 run to start the game and push the score all the way up to 30-to-11 with 10:21 in the first half remaining. The Falcons would respond, as they started to get in their groove and Jake Jurss started hitting from everywhere on the court. The senior had 11 first half points and 20 second half points for a game-high 31 points. Jurss went 7-of-11 from 3-point range and 9-of-15 from the field. The Jurss brothers proved to be too much for the Regents to handle, as Concordia Wisconsin pulled within striking distance going into halftime with the score sitting at 43-36 in favor of the visitors.
- CUW would go on to outscore Rockford 54-to-40 in the second half and go on a game sealing run with 6:40 remaining. The Falcons pulled ahead by one with a layup by sophomore Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) which was then followed by a pair of free throws, and a 3-point play by senior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) that would give Concordia Wisconsin a 76-to-74 lead with five minutes remaining in the contest. CUW would go on to gain a seven-point advantage and keep Rockford at arm's length for the rest of the night to capture the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Senior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) needs two offensive rebounds to tie the record for the most offensive rebounds in CUW program history.
- The Falcons will be in action next on Wednesday, as they will host Dominican with tipoff scheduled for 7:00 pm.