BELOIT, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin held a 6-3 lead at halftime and increased its advantage to six goals before eventually going on to earn a season-opening 11-8 victory at Beloit on Wednesday afternoon. The game was also an MWLC contest for both teams.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 11, Beloit 8
Location: Strong Stadium (Beloit, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, Beloit 0-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) did all of her damage in the opening half, scoring four goals during a 16-minute span to push Concordia Wisconsin to a 6-2 lead with seven minutes and 41 seconds to play before halftime.
- After the intermission, the Falcons added three more goals to go ahead by six goals, 9-3, with 19:48 to play in the MWLC matchup. Senior Kristen Kennedy (London, Ontario) would score two of her three goals in the second half and assist on two markers in the first half for a career-high-tying five-point day.
- Freshman Megan McPike (Mequon, Wis.) had a hat trick of her own, scoring twice in the second half.
- Beloit did make a run in the second half, scoring five goals within a 12-and-a-half minute span to put the scoreboard at 10-8 with six minutes and 27 seconds to play. Concordia Wisconsin's defense stood strong to preserve the victory.
- Paquin won 12 draw controls, which was one shy of tying the program record. She also had two caused turnovers. Freshman Kinsey Weyer (Stillwater, Minn.) made seven saves in a complete game effort in goal to earn the victory.
- The Falcons caused 20 turnovers in the game and McPike led them with four. In all, 10 players caused a turnover for the visitors.
- Nicole Dolcimascolo led the Buccaneers with four goals, while Alexa Arakelian had nine saves, six ground balls and three caused turnovers in goal.
- The game wasn't smooth, with a combined 67 turnovers (35 for Concordia Wisconsin and 32 for Beloit).
- The Falcons were 2-of-7 on free-position shots, while the Buccaneers were 3-of-10.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts UW-River Falls on Saturday at 3 pm at Fitting Field for its home opener.
July 24, 2019 Five Women's Lacrosse players earn IWLCA academic honors
June 24, 2019 Solberg honored with Female Career Achievement Award
June 12, 2019 Women's Lacrosse places seven on MWLC All-Academic Team
May 22, 2019 Paquin adds IWLCA All-Region accolades to her résumé
May 2, 2019 Paquin named MWLC Midfielder of the Year
April 28, 2019 Women's Lacrosse season comes to a close
April 27, 2019 Women's Lacrosse postseason hopes broken
April 23, 2019 Woodman earned MWLC Defensive Player of the Week accolades
April 19, 2019 Paquin scores six, Women's Lacrosse defeats Cornell
April 13, 2019 Historic day for Paquin, Falcons fly by Eagles
April 10, 2019 Women's Lacrosse loses MWLC contest at Aurora
April 9, 2019 Weyer earns MWLC Defensive Player of the Week accolades
April 5, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse hangs on to defeat Northwestern
April 2, 2019 McPike nets MWLC Offensive Player of the Week honors
March 30, 2019 Falcons run past Sabres in MWLC victory
March 27, 2019 Saturday Women's Lacrosse game vs. Marian moved to Mequon
March 26, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (March 23, 2019)
March 23, 2019 McPike scores game-winner 12 seconds into overtime
March 20, 2019 Falcons end four-game road trip at George Fox
March 19, 2019 Women's Lacrosse competes against Pomona-Pitzer
March 16, 2019 Augustana edges Women’s Lacrosse
March 15, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse drops MWLC game at IIT
March 7, 2019 Falcons build early advantage in season-opening win
March 5, 2019 Women's Lacrosse at Beloit postponed to Thursday
February 26, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (February 26, 2019)
January 28, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse selected third in MWLC Preseason Poll