MEQUON, Wis. – The only thing that mattered on Saturday afternoon was that Megan McPike scored the game-winning goal 12 seconds into overtime to vault Concordia Wisconsin to a 10-9 MWLC victory over Concordia Chicago at Fitting Field.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 10, Concordia Chicago 9
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-5, 2-1 MWLC; Concordia Chicago 4-3, 3-2 MWLC
QUOTING MEGAN McPIKE
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Concordia Chicago tied the game with 15 seconds to play in regulation, it was freshman Megan McPike (Mequon, Wis.) who won the draw control to begin overtime and ran down to the right side of the goal and shot to the top left corner for the goal to send the Falcons into jubilation.
- The final shot of the game was the most important factor, as the word clean was surely not a way to describe the back-and-forth contest. There were 15 cards issued (13 yellow, two green), 55 turnovers and 65 fouls called in a game that seemed to drag on during every possession. Nevertheless, there were four lead changes and three scoring ties.
- The Cougars held a 3-1 lead after 12-plus minutes of action and owned a 5-4 advantage at the intermission. After some adjustments, the Falcons came out and scored five-consecutive goals during the first 12 minutes and 11 seconds to turn the tide and lead 9-5.
- Concordia Chicago answered with four goals in a row to send the game into overtime. They were limited to eight shots in the second half.
- Senior Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) ended with a team-high four goals while causing five turnovers. McPike had a hat trick, two assists, three ground balls, three draw control wins and two caused turnovers.
- Defensively, senior Ellie Woodman (Janesville, Wis.) was outstanding with nine ground balls (tied for third-most in a game in program history) and seven caused turnovers (tied for fifth most in a game in program history). Senior Kristin Kennedy (London, Ontario) recorded six ground balls and four caused turnovers to help the Falcons shut down the Cougars in the second half.
- Anna Kellar paced Concordia Chicago with five goals, while Sydney Fuller won five draw controls. Alexis Gandhi made nine saves in goal.
- Neither team had great success on free-position attempts, as Concordia Chicago was 2-for-10 and Concordia Wisconsin was 0-for-5.
- The Falcons had a 25-18 lead in ground balls and forced 29 turnovers, of which 22 were caused. They were also whistled for 44 of the 65 fouls and were called for nine of the 15 cards – at one point the Falcons had three players in the penalty area after three cards were handed out in 29 seconds.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Loras on Wednesday at 4 pm in an MWLC matchup at Fitting Field.
July 24, 2019 Five Women's Lacrosse players earn IWLCA academic honors
June 24, 2019 Solberg honored with Female Career Achievement Award
June 12, 2019 Women's Lacrosse places seven on MWLC All-Academic Team
May 22, 2019 Paquin adds IWLCA All-Region accolades to her résumé
May 2, 2019 Paquin named MWLC Midfielder of the Year
April 28, 2019 Women's Lacrosse season comes to a close
April 27, 2019 Women's Lacrosse postseason hopes broken
April 23, 2019 Woodman earned MWLC Defensive Player of the Week accolades
April 19, 2019 Paquin scores six, Women's Lacrosse defeats Cornell
April 13, 2019 Historic day for Paquin, Falcons fly by Eagles
April 10, 2019 Women's Lacrosse loses MWLC contest at Aurora
April 9, 2019 Weyer earns MWLC Defensive Player of the Week accolades
April 5, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse hangs on to defeat Northwestern
April 2, 2019 McPike nets MWLC Offensive Player of the Week honors
March 30, 2019 Falcons run past Sabres in MWLC victory
March 27, 2019 Saturday Women's Lacrosse game vs. Marian moved to Mequon
March 26, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (March 23, 2019)
March 23, 2019 McPike scores game-winner 12 seconds into overtime
March 20, 2019 Falcons end four-game road trip at George Fox
March 19, 2019 Women's Lacrosse competes against Pomona-Pitzer
March 16, 2019 Augustana edges Women’s Lacrosse
March 15, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse drops MWLC game at IIT
March 7, 2019 Falcons build early advantage in season-opening win
March 5, 2019 Women's Lacrosse at Beloit postponed to Thursday
February 26, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (February 26, 2019)
January 28, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse selected third in MWLC Preseason Poll