MEQUON, Wis. -- Kristen Kennedy was having herself a game early on, recording a hat trick in less than 12 minutes of action, to help Concordia Wisconsin blow by Loras, 18-8, in MWLC action on Wednesday afternoon. Kennedy finished with a career-high eight points (six goals, two assists), while Megan McPike had just as much success with eight points (six goals, two assists) at Fitting Field.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 18, Loras 8
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-5, 3-1 MWLC; Loras 1-5, 1-5 MWLC
QUOTING KRISTEN KENNEDY
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin took full advantage of Loras, who was a player short on the field all game, by scoring five goals 11 minutes and 18 seconds into the game. Kennedy (senior, London, Ontario) had a hat trick during that time and added two more goals before halftime. Meanwhile, freshman Megan McPike (Mequon, Wis.) was quietly going about her business and after putting the first goal on the scoreboard, added three more to the back of the net in the last seven minutes before halftime.
- The Falcons owned a 12-5 advantage at the intermission.
- In addition, seniors Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) and Ellie Woodman (Janesville, Wis.) also recorded hat tricks of their own. Paquin got past the Duhawks goalkeeper three times in the first half and Woodman had a flurry of markers during a five-minute span early in the second half.
- The offense was putting on a show, but it was the defense that was flexing its muscles throughout the lopsided contest. In the end, a program-record 34 caused turnovers occurred and seven Falcons had at least three.
- McPike picked up eight ground balls, won five draw controls and caused three turnovers; while Woodman had eight ground balls, four draw controls and six ground balls. Paquin, along with junior Jenny Quinn (Elmhurst, Ill.) and freshmen Sarah Pearson (South Range, Wis.) and Karlee McCanna (Franklin, Wis.) all had four caused turnovers. Junior Shannon Carroll (Mundelein, Ill.) caused three turnovers of her own.
- Freshman Kinsey Weyer (Stillwater, Minn.) made six saves in goal to earn the victory.
- Four Duhawks had a pair of goals, while Olivia Flynn won 10 draw controls and Rebecca Hiebing made 14 saves and picked up 11 ground balls.
- Concordia Wisconsin has now defeated Loras in all seven matches by a combined scored of 128-18.
- The Falcons 43 ground balls were two shy of tying the program record.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin's game on Saturday was supposed to be played at Marian, but due to poor field conditions in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin will now take place on Saturday at 4 pm on Fitting Field.
July 24, 2019 Five Women's Lacrosse players earn IWLCA academic honors
June 24, 2019 Solberg honored with Female Career Achievement Award
June 12, 2019 Women's Lacrosse places seven on MWLC All-Academic Team
May 22, 2019 Paquin adds IWLCA All-Region accolades to her résumé
May 2, 2019 Paquin named MWLC Midfielder of the Year
April 28, 2019 Women's Lacrosse season comes to a close
April 27, 2019 Women's Lacrosse postseason hopes broken
April 23, 2019 Woodman earned MWLC Defensive Player of the Week accolades
April 19, 2019 Paquin scores six, Women's Lacrosse defeats Cornell
April 13, 2019 Historic day for Paquin, Falcons fly by Eagles
April 10, 2019 Women's Lacrosse loses MWLC contest at Aurora
April 9, 2019 Weyer earns MWLC Defensive Player of the Week accolades
April 5, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse hangs on to defeat Northwestern
April 2, 2019 McPike nets MWLC Offensive Player of the Week honors
March 30, 2019 Falcons run past Sabres in MWLC victory
March 27, 2019 Saturday Women's Lacrosse game vs. Marian moved to Mequon
March 26, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (March 23, 2019)
March 23, 2019 McPike scores game-winner 12 seconds into overtime
March 20, 2019 Falcons end four-game road trip at George Fox
March 19, 2019 Women's Lacrosse competes against Pomona-Pitzer
March 16, 2019 Augustana edges Women’s Lacrosse
March 15, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse drops MWLC game at IIT
March 7, 2019 Falcons build early advantage in season-opening win
March 5, 2019 Women's Lacrosse at Beloit postponed to Thursday
February 26, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (February 26, 2019)
January 28, 2019 Women’s Lacrosse selected third in MWLC Preseason Poll