MEQUON, Wis. – The match wasn't smooth with five forfeits throughout, but in the end, Concordia Wisconsin did what it needed to do and earned a 24-16 victory over Lakeland during a CCIW dual inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 24, Lakeland 16
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-1, 1-0 CCIW; Lakeland 0-1, 0-1 CCIW
QUOTING HEAD COACH KEVIN KOCH
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams have been hit with the injury bug to begin the season, Lakeland more so than Concordia Wisconsin, as there were five bouts that had a forfeit. In the end, the five matches that were completed were competitive from the first whistle to the final horn.
- Starting at 197 pounds, Lakeland's Chris Deja took a 16-13 decision win to begin the match. Freshman Reid McNeill (Bristol, Wis.), who wrestled up two weight classes and outweighed by roughly 50 pounds, defeated his opponent by a 2-0 decision to even the scoreboard at 3-3.
- The Muskies won at 125 pounds by forfeit before both teams gave up 133 pounds, followed by freshman Bryan Jordan (West Allis, Wis.) taking 141 pounds by forfeit for the Falcons.
- Lakeland's Gonzalo Alvarado picked up a 4-0 decision at 149 pounds prior to senior Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) walking on the mat for a forfeit win at 157 pounds to put Concordia Wisconsin back in front 15-12.
- P.J. Ladd had the only major decision victory of the night for either team at 165 pounds.
- The match ended with freshman Cameron Caldwell (Adams-Friendship, Wis.) winning by decision 14-8 at 174 pounds and freshman Sean Kaake (Borger, Texas) taking a forfeit win at 184 pounds.
- Concordia Wisconsin improves its all-time series against Lakeland to 16-4-1 and has won four of the last five duals.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels west to the Las Vegas Duals and will compete against Wayland Baptist, North Central and Wartburg on December 17.
Lakeland at Concordia Wisconsin
Thursday, December 6, 2018
R. John Buuck Field House
Concordia Wisconsin 24, Lakeland 16
197: Chris Deja (LU) dec. Trey Wilson (CUW), 16-13
285: Reid McNeill (CUW) dec. Harry Tompkins, 2-0
125: Kurtis DeGroot (LU) won by forfeit
133: Double Forfeit
141: Bryan Jordan (CUW) won by forfeit
149: Gonzalo Alvarado (LU) dec. Connor Nolan (CUW), 4-0
157: Eric Martinson (CUW) won by forfeit
165: P.J. Ladd (LU) maj. dec. Alex Montbriand (CUW), 9-1
174: Cameron Caldwell (CUW) dec. Kyle Reitmeier (LU), 14-8
184: Sean Kaake (CUW) won by forfeit
Starting Weight: 197
Dual Length: 1:11
Official: Morgan Sickinger