AURORA, Ill. – It was a battle of the preseason favorites for the NACC and Aurora came out on top with a 3-1 25-19, 19-25, 25-23, 25-12) victory over Concordia Wisconsin on Saturday afternoon inside Thornton Gymnasium.
Final Score: Aurora 3, Concordia Wisconsin 1 (25-19, 19-25, 25-23, 25-12)
Location: Thornton Gymnasium (Aurora, Ill.)
Records: Aurora 15-5, 9-0 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 14-6, 8-2 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A night after a disappointing loss to Benedictine, the Falcons were unable to recover and defeat a formidable opponent in Aurora, as a 3-1 defeat put them in the NACC standings.
- Concordia Wisconsin was able to secure the second set to tie the match at 1-1 on the scoreboard and was within a point twice down the stretch in the third stanza, but was unable to lock down the win.
- The Falcons hit .256 in the second and .233 in the third sets, and finished with a .135 attack percentage, compared to the Spartans .178.
- Junior Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) had a team-high 11 kills, while freshman Sophia Collins (Lake Mills, Wis.) tallied nine kills and eight digs. Senior Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) posted 26 assists and eight digs, while junior Ariana Richmond (South Elgin, Il.) had 21 digs. Junior Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) had a career-best eight block assists.
- Aurora's Katie Vondra had a match-best 20 kills, to go along with 13 digs, two service aces and two block assists. Imani Freeman posted 11 kills, while Lindsey Simpson had 10 kills and seven block assists. Emily Lines recorded 49 assists, 18 digs and six block assists.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Marian on Tuesday night at 7 pm in a NACC match inside the R. John Buuck Field House.