MEQUON, Wis. – The CUW women's volleyball team ended the CUW Invitational with a bang. CUW knocked off Millikin, 3-2. The Falcons dropped the first match of the day to No. 15 Illinois Wesleyan, 1-3. Senior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) was named to the all-tournament team. She finished the weekend with 104 assists, 49 digs and four service aces.
"Our goal for the weekend was to improve every match and get ourselves ready for the end of our conference and conference tournament," said head coach Janelle Katz. "I think that we accomplished that and we are looking forward to playing our best ball at the end of the season."
No. 15 Illinois Wesleyan 3, Concordia Wisconsin 1
- CUW started the match on a 12-5 run. Junior Kelsey Kelba (Hartland, Wis.) had three kills in the run.
- IWU used a 9-2 run to tie the first set at 14 and an 8-1 run to close the set at 25-19.
- The Titans opened the second set on a 12-4 run and never looked back.
- The Blue and White had a hitting percentage of .373 in the third set to force a fourth set.
- Junior Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) and senior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) led the Falcons with 10 kills.
- Kelsey Kelba led CUW with a .471 hitting percentage.
Concordia Wisconsin 3, Millikin 2
- Neither team was able to get any separation in the first set, until the serve of Mackenzie Wockenfus gave CUW a 16-12 lead.
- Trailing in the first set 21-23, the Falcons closed on a 4-0 run.
- The Falcons has a blistering hitting percentage of .500 in the second set and cruised to a 25-19 victory.
- Millikin edged out a 27-25 victory in set three and rallied late in the fourth set to force the fifth set.
- Concordia Wisconsin jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the fifth set with the serve of Mackenzie Wockenfus, who had a service ace in the run. Freshman Madelyn Alton (Custer Park, Ill.) also had two kills.
- Madelyn Alton and Megan Mayer finished with double-doubles. Alton who had 10 kills and 14 digs earned her second double-double of the invite after a career record 12 kills and 29 digs against UW-Stout on Friday night. Saturday marked the 14th double-double of the year for Mayer.
- Mackenzie Wockenfus led the team with 31 assists and junior Ariana Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) notched 23 digs.
- Sophomore Natalie Lutz (West Bend, Wis.) had a career-high three service aces and 11 digs.
- CUW went 2-0 in five-set matches in the CUW Volleyball Invitation.
The Falcons will host Wisconsin Lutheran on Wednesday on senior night and will head to UW-Whitewater to close the regular season on Saturday
CUW Volleyball Invitation All-Tournament Team
Cardinal Stritch: Tricia Graham
CUW: Mackenzie Wockenfus
Illinois Wesleyan: Tyler Brown
Illinois Wesleyan: Rachel Burkman
Millikin: Marissa McElroy
UW-Oshkosh: Tina Elstner
UW-River Falls: Hannah Robb
UW-Stout: Jessica DuVal